Thursday, May 26, 2011

Hire Me for Your Next Funeral...

Tuesday night I got word from the boss that I would need to spin 80s for the first 2 hours of my set. He said "you know 80s right?" I replied "Sure, I totally remember everything that happened in the 80s." [I was born in 85] I asked why the heck would I suddenly have to spin 80s music on tranny night. The reason was that the Brass Rail was hosting a wake that night. This further baffled me. It turns out that wakes at bars are pretty common in the gay community. When a gay person dies and their family never accepted their sexual orientation, they do not allow the gay friends at the funeral. This was very disheartening to me, especially when I showed up for my gig last night. It was the best crowd that I've ever seen at the Brass Rail or any club for that matter. It was a tight knit crowd of 200+ young professionals. Even tough they were mourning they seemed very out going and uplifting. Looking around at the young man's friends I got a feel for the type of person he was. Even in death his family couldn't look past their biases and fully accept him as the wonderful person that he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment